Niagara Casinos Customer Service Policy Statement: Providing Goods and Services to People with Disabilities
The Accessibility Standards for Customer Service, Ontario Regulation 429/07, became law on January 1, 2008. It is the first accessibility standard implemented under the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005. This regulation is an important step to create a barrier-free and accessible Ontario by 2025.
Niagara Casinos is committed to providing its goods and services in ways that respect the dignity and independence of people with disabilities. We are also committed to giving people with disabilities access to our goods and services in the same place and in a similar manner as other customers.
Niagara Casinos are committed to excellence in serving all customers including people with disabilities in the following areas:
- Niagara Casinos will use reasonable efforts to ensure that policies, practices and procedures are documented and consistent with the following core principles of the standard:
- Dignity - Respect the dignity of a person with a disability. Treat them as customers and clients who are as valued and as deserving of effective and full service as any other customer.
- Independence - People who may move or speak more slowly should not be denied an opportunity to participate in a program or service because of these factors. A Niagara Casino Associate should not hurry them or take over a task for them if they prefer to do it themselves in their own way.
- Integration - Allow people with disabilities to fully benefit from the same services, in the same place and in the same or similar way as other customers. Sometimes, integration does not serve the needs of all people with disabilities. In these cases it is necessary to use alternate measures to provide goods or services.
- Equal Opportunity - Allow people to have the same chances, options, benefits and results as others. In the case of services, it means that people with disabilities have the same opportunity as others to benefit from the way Niagara Casinos provides goods or services. They should not have to make significantly more effort to access or obtain service. They should also not have to accept lesser quality or more inconvenience.
- Communication and Documentation
- When communicating with a person with a disability, Niagara Casino Associates will do so in a manner that takes into account the person's disability.
- When providing a copy of a document to a person with a disability, Niagara Casinos shall give the person the document, or the information contained in the document, in a format that takes into account the person's disability.
- Personal Assistive Devices
Niagara Casinos permit customers with disabilities to use their own personal assistive devices provided the assistive device does not jeopardize or interfere with the integrity and assets of the organization.
- Niagara Casinos Assistance Provided
Niagara Casinos may offer a person with a disability other reasonable measures to assist the person in obtaining, using or benefiting from Niagara Casinos goods and services. Where Niagara Casinos has such other measures available, this must be documented in policies, practices and procedures.
- Support Persons
- Niagara Casinos ensures entry of customers with disabilities accompanied by a personal support person into Niagara Casinos, subject to applicable age restrictions and other applicable entry criteria.
- Standard costs will apply to personal support workers accompanying persons with disabilities at special events.
- Service Animals
A person with a disability may enter Niagara Casinos accompanied by their guide dog or service animal in areas of the premises that are open to the public, unless the animal is excluded by another law. If a service animal is excluded by law, other measures to provide services to the person with a disability may be used.
- Notice of Disruptions in Service
- Niagara Casinos will make reasonable efforts to provide notice to customers, when possible, if services are unavailable.
- When a disruption occurs unexpectedly, notice shall conspicuously be posted as soon as possible.
- Niagara Casinos will acknowledge customer feedback in a timely manner that takes into account the customer's disability.
- Niagara Casinos will capture and track customer feedback through available tracking systems.
- All persons to whom this policy applies will receive training as required by the Accessibility Standards for Customer Service.
- Accessible Customer Service training has been provided to all Niagara Casino Associates. Niagara Casinos New Hire program incorporates an AODA Accessible Customer Service segment to ensure all employees are trained.
- Availability of Niagara Casino Accessibility Policy Public access to the annual Niagara Casinos Accessibility Policy will be available in alternate formats upon request.